Posted October 31, 2022
Dear McGlone Academy Community,
We deeply value our community partnership. The primary purpose of this letter is to provide an update on the principal selection process.
As you know, Principal Jose Martinez and Principal Angelique Acevedo-Barron kindly agreed to serve as our Interim Principals for the start of the 2022-23 school year. They have helped us continue our strong course forward. We will forever be indebted to both leaders for their invaluable strength, service, and care for the McGlone community. Please join us in thanking these leaders for their service.
We are writing to explain how we will proceed with finding the next principal of McGlone for the 2022-23 school year and beyond. Last year, we were able to implement some new processes in principal hiring to make the process overall more transparent and accessible. We will be continuing with some updates to the way we have traditionally conducted school principal search processes. These processes are grounded in the following guiding principles:
● Increased opportunities for a wide variety of stakeholder feedback
● Easy access for stakeholders from multiple language backgrounds with translators and interpreters
● Equity of access for school communities despite personal circumstances of time and access to technology
Toward this end, we will be following the revised steps for the principal search process in alignment with the guiding principles. The process will include the following:
● School Accountability Committee (SAC) meeting to update the principal profile and generate questions for the community presentations
● Stakeholder survey to generate questions for the final candidates: including SAC, school staff, students, and families.
● DPS leader pre-screening interviews of candidates in alignment with the principal profile facilitated by our Collaborative Director, Operational Service Directors, and other Schools Office leaders.
● Pre-recorded candidate presentations in multiple languages to share their vision for the school and address questions generated by stakeholder groups.
● Stakeholder surveys and call-in opportunities to provide feedback on candidate presentations.
● Superintendent review of stakeholder feedback and final interview with candidates before a final decision by the superintendent is made.
We value the voices of all stakeholders in the McGlone community. To honor this, we invite staff, students, parents, and community members to submit questions for candidates to address in their virtual presentation by Friday, October 21, 2022, at 10 a.m. by these methods below:
Use the Community Input Survey (English/Spanish): https://bit.ly/McGloneFeedback2022
● Call the Office of Family & Community Engagement via phone at 720-423-3054
● Email the form below by Friday, October 12th by 10:00 a.m. to Brittany Barela at
Below this letter is the revised timeline of the community involvement steps of the process. We will also engage in rigorous reference and data collection on all candidates.
We would like to reiterate that we know a leadership transition is difficult for staff, students, and families. Our focus will be to ensure we identify the best leader to lead McGlone beginning in the year 2022-2023.
Thank you for your support as we work together during this transitional period.
Sandra Lochhead Director, K-8 Schools
Dr. Christina Sylvester Operational Service Director
Timeline for McGlone Principal Selection Process
Now through October 21, 2022: Community Feedback via School Principal Input Survey closes October 21st @ 10am
Week of October 12, 20202: Collaborative Director and Operational Service Director meets with SAC re: Search Process and Community Feedback on School Principal Profile and determination of question.
Week of December 5, 2022: Candidate Virtual Presentations & Community Feedback Survey
Week of December 12th: Interview with Superintendent Dr. Alex Marrero
Week of December 12th: Principal Announced
*Dates may be subject to change