It is essential for students to attend school daily in order to acquire the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to be college- and career-ready. Parents, guardians, and students are all responsible for making sure students are on time and ready to learn.
School attendance is required by state law for students ages 6-17 (Colorado School Attendance Law-C.R.S. 22-33-101 et seq.). Students must attend a minimum number of hours of school in order to comply with the law.
An excused absence requires approval by both the parent or guardian and the school principal. In some cases, documentation from the parent may be required so that the school can excuse an absence. Examples can include a note from a healthcare provider.
It is also known as an unexcused absence, which is an absence without a parent or school permission. Habitually Truant is defined as four unexcused absences in one month and/or 10 unexcused absences in the school year, and the student is between the ages of 6-17. The school may notify parents or guardians of absences by one or more of the following methods:
• Telephone call
• Parent Conference
• Home visit or Truancy Notice after the student is habitually truant
In order to support the family of a student who is habitually truant, the school will attempt to understand the reasons for the student’s absences. To do so, the school will provide support that could include meeting with the student, counseling, tutoring, meeting with both parent and student, referral to support programs, and/or implementing an attendance plan or medical plan. We encourage families to stay in close communication with school staff to address reasons that the student might be missing school. A truancy court proceeding may be initiated if the student continues to miss school.
● If your child will be absent, please call the attendance line at 720-424-5673 before 8 am.
● After 4 absences called in due to sickness without a note a medical note will be required for future absences otherwise it will be marked as unexcused.
● After 10 unexcused absences guardians will be required to sign an attendance contract.
● After 20 unexcused absences the school will file for Truancy Court.
● After ten days of consecutive absences, your child will be withdrawn.
Please ensure that your student arrives on time ready to learn each day. Teachers will notify parents/guardians if a student is tardy more than 3 times. The homeroom teacher will notify Family Liaison once a student has been tardy an additional 3 times and a plan of action will be created with the parent to eliminate future tardy days.